Environmental concern is a core value of OVIDIAS philosophy and attitude!
A. THE CHOICE FOR THE TIN CAN.
In the first place the tin can has been deliberately chosen because of the numerous advantages as to product safety, quality maintaining and consequent consumers health. However, the use of the can also provides good number of environmental pro's:
- there is a recycling rate of almost 80 %;
- reclycing itself is very easy because of magnetic recovery;
- energy recovery of coatings in steelmaking or incineration.
B. THE CHOICE FOR THE TRANSPARANT "FRESHPACK".
As packaging film for the individual OVIDIAS chocolates, we have deliberately choosen for a film that meets two criteria :
- it is as much packaging as necessary,
- it enables the minimum amount of resources to be used for each unit consumed.
B.1. ENVIRONMENTALLY RESPONSIBLE PACKAGING.
- This film is produced using thermomechanical extrusion and orientation processes plus coating with water based materials !
- Large quantities of solvents, process chemicals and water are not employed, large quantities of effluents and bi-products are not produced.
- This film does not contain heavy metals.
- Revalorisation of this film - after disposal - by energy recovery when used as a fuel for power stations, cement works and incinerators burning low grade waste. When burning please realise that 95 % of the original caloric value of crude oil can be released.
B.2. PROTECTING YOUR HEALTH.
The packaging films used by OVIDIAS have a FOOD CONTACT APPROVAL and meet with all requirements imposed by CE laws, such as : 90/128/EEC, 92/39/EEC, 93/9/EEC and 95/3/EC. This film also meets with the requirements of the American Institute of Baking (=AIB-Standards ).
B.3. ABOUT WEIGHT.
OVIDIAS uses a 25 micron thick film with a weight of 22,7 g / m2. So this means that 5 (five) OVIDIAS chocolates need less than one gram of packing film!